I am against the death penalty. I didn’t always feel this way. What changed my mind? I was an informant who worked with the VT State police, and busted a confessed murderer, who supported the death penalty, yet ironically was opposed to abortion. Murder in all it’s forms is wrong! Choose life, always. I’m not sure I could have led this murderer to the gallows, and if we had a death penalty here in Vermont, I don’t know what I would have done to get justice in this case.
Below is an email from Colleen Cunningham, a MoveOn member who created a petition at SignOn.org that is getting a lot of attention and may be of interest to people in your area. If you have concerns or feedback about this petition, click here.
Dear Connecticut MoveOn member,
We have a real opportunity to end the death penalty in Connecticut—if we act now.
A recent study has proven Connecticut’s death penalty is applied in a racist and arbitrary manner, is far more expensive than life imprisonment without the possibility of release, and risks executing the innocent. With your help, we are optimistic that we can pass a bill to repeal the death penalty this year.
That’s why I created a petition to the Connecticut House and Senate and Governor Dan Malloy on SignOn.org, which says:
The death penalty has been proven to be expensive and racist and risks executing an innocent person. Please work to see that the death penalty is repealed this year!
Will you sign the petition? Click here to add your name, and then pass it along to your friends:
The text above was written by Colleen Cunningham, not by MoveOn staff, and MoveOn is not responsible for the content. This email was sent through MoveOn’s secure system, and your information has been kept private.
Want to support our work? MoveOn Civic Action is entirely funded by our 5 million members—no corporate contributions, no big checks from CEOs. And our tiny staff ensures that small contributions go a long way. Chip in here.
- The OkCupid Killer (Camels and Shepherds)
- Letters: The Subjective Face of the Death Penalty (nytimes.com)
- Head of NAACP talking up campaigns to abolish death penalty in states (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Interesting new data on operation of death penalty in Connecticut (sentencing.typepad.com)
- Prosecutors to Seek Death Penalty (myfoxphoenix.com)
- The Loyal Opposition: The Movement to Abolish the Death Penalty (loyalopposition.blogs.nytimes.com)
- GOP-Appointed California Chief Justice Says Death Penalty Is ‘Not Effective’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Death sentences haphazardly meted out, says Connecticut study (thehindu.com)
- As Public Opinions Turns Against The Death Penalty, Number Of Capital Sentences Hits 35-Year Low (thinkprogress.org)
- Editorial | In Evidence: The Random Horror of the Death Penalty (nytimes.com)
- Clips From Friday: Rick Santorum on the death penalty; Karen Santorum opens up about the death of their infant son (piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com)